Sunday, September 30, 2007

A Sweater's Worth of Decadence

So I decided that I really wanted to make myself an alpaca sweater, and because I am an instant gratification kind of knitter, I wanted it out of bulky yarn. Unfortunately, bulky alpaca runs $13-$15 for 100-120 yards, and with approximately 1200 yards needed for a sweater, that gets pricey really fast.

But! thought I, there is always Decadence over at Knitpicks: yummy alpaca yarn, bulky weight, about 120 yards for $5.99 in lots of great colors, right? Wrong. They discontinued Decadence (the thought of this still makes me want to cry) and the only three colors remaining were pink, purple, and tan. I am not a pink or purple kind of girl. That left tan, and some Jacquard acid dye in Chestnut.

Unfortunately this elevates the 5ish skeins of Decadence lurking in my stash to handspun status: There Is No More. So if I want to use them, I must find the PERFECT pattern, because... There Is No More. Which means, in turn, that those skeins are going to sit in my stash FOREVER and a day. Argh. Do you suppose Knitpicks would respond well to a barrage of fevered pleas for this yarn to come back?

No comments: